Department of Community Medicine, Shri Sathya Sai Medical College & Research Institute, Kancheepuram, India
The Doctor-Patient Relationship (DPR) is a complex concept in the medical sociology in which patients voluntarily approach a doctor and thus become a part of a contract in which they tends to abide with the doctor’s guidance. Globally, the DPR has changed drastically over the years owing to the commercialization and privatization of the health sector. Furthermore, the dynamics of the DPR has shown a significant change because of the formulation of consumer protection acts; clauses for professional misconduct and criminal negligence; establishment of patient forums and organizations; massive expansion of the mass media sector leading to increase in health awareness among people; and changes in the status of the doctors. Realizing the importance of DPR in the final outcome and quality of life of the patient, multiple measures have been suggested to make a correct diagnosis and enhance healing. To conclude, good DPR is the crucial determinant for a better clinical outcome and satisfaction with the patients, irrespective of the socio-cultural determinants.
1. Park K. Medicine and social sciences. In: Park K, editor. Textbook of Preventive and Social Medicine. 20th ed. Jabalpur: Banarsidas Bhanot; 2009. p. 604-5.
2. Lejoyeux M. The doctor-patient relationship: new psychological models. Bull Acad Natl Med 2011; 195: 1477–88.
3. Emanuel EJ, Dubler NN. Preserving the physician-patient relationship in the era of managed care. JAMA 1995; 273: 323–9. doi: 10.1001/jama.1995.03520280069043
4. Institute of Medicine. Crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2001. doi: 10.1056/NEJM200108303450917
5. Mendoza MD, Smith SG, Eder MM, Hickner J. The seventh element of quality: the doctor-patient relationship. Fam Med 2011; 43: 83–9.
6. Banerjee A, Sanyal D. Dynamics of doctor-patient relationship: A cross-sectional study on concordance, trust, and patient enablement. J Family Community Med 2012; 19: 12–9. doi: 10.4103/2230-8229.94006
7. Werther JR. Focus on doctor-patient relationship the secret to practice success. Tenn Med 2010; 103: 9.
8. Hou X, Xiao L. An analysis of the changing doctor-patient relationship in China. J Int Bioethique 2012; 23: 83–9. doi: 10.3917/jib.232.0083
9. Dworzanski W, Dworzanska A, Burdan F. The essence of doctor-patient relationship in creating image of a medical institution. Pol Merkur Lekarski 2012; 32: 38–40.
10. Siebzehner MI, Balik C, Matalon A. Doctor-patient relationship in the context of a changing society. Harefuah 2008; 147: 1010–5.
11. Oyer DJ. Playing politics with the doctor-patient relationship. N Engl J Med 2012; 366: 2326–7. doi: 10.1056/NEJMc1205009
12. Finset A. “I am worried, Doctor!” Emotions in the doctor-patient relationship. Patient Educ Couns 2012; 88: 359–63. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2012.06.022
13. Weber AS, Verjee MA, Musson D, Iqbal NA, Mosleh TM, Zainel AA, et al. Patient opinion of the doctor-patient relationship in a public hospital in Qatar. Saudi Med J 2011; 32: 293–9.
14. Williams S, Weinman J, Dale J. Doctor-patient communication and patient satisfaction: a review. Fam Pract 1998; 15: 480–92. doi: 10.1093/fampra/15.5.480
15. Terpstra OT. On doctor-patient relationship and feedback interventions. Perspect Med Educ 2012; 1: 159-61. doi: 10.1007/s40037-012-0030-3
16. Snyder U. The doctor-patient relationship II: not listening. Medscape J Med 2008; 10: 294.
17. Jagosh J, Boudreau DJ, Steinert Y, Macdonald ME, Ingram L. The importance of physician listening from the patients’ perspective: enhancing diagnosis, healing, and the doctor-patient relationship. Patient Educ Couns 2011; 85: 369–74. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2011.01.028
18. Pourette D. Chronic hepatitis B and HIV care: the key-role of the doctor-patient relationship. Sante Publique 2013; 25: 561–70.
19. Skirbekk H, Middelthon AL, Hjortdahl P, Finset A. Mandates of trust in the doctor-patient relationship. Qual Health Res 2011; 21: 1182–90. doi: 10.1177/1049732311405685
20. Kuzari D, Biderman A, Cwikel J. Attitudes of women with breast cancer regarding the doctor-patient relationship. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 2013; 22: 589–96. doi: 10.1111/ecc.12063
21. Guenter D, Gillett J, Cain R, Pawluch D, Travers R. What do people living with HIV/AIDS expect from their physicians? Professional expertise and the doctor-patient relationship. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic) 2010; 9: 341–5. doi: 10.1177/1545109710370486
22. Schers H, Webster S, van den Hoogen H, Avery A, Grol R, van den Bosch W. Continuity of care in general practice: a survey of patients’ views. Br J Gen Pract 2002; 52: 459–62.
23. Frederiksen HB, Kragstrup J, Dehlholm-Lambertsen B. Attachment in the doctor-patient relationship in general practice: a qualitative study. Scand J Prim Health Care 2010; 28: 185–90. doi: 10.3109/02813432.2010.505447
24. Benedetti F. Placebo and the new physiology of the doctor-patient relationship. Physiol Rev 2013; 93: 1207–46. doi: 10.1152/physrev.00043.2012
25. Taylor HJ, Bond CS. What e-patients want from the doctor-patient relationship: content analysis of posts on discussion boards. J Med Internet Res 2012; 14: e155. doi: 10.2196/jmir.2068
26. Sabesan S, Allen D, Caldwell P, Loh PK, Mozer R, Komesaroff PA, et al. Practical aspects of telehealth: doctor-patient relationship and communication. Intern Med J 2014; 44: 101–3. doi: 10.1111/imj.12323
27. Lacey C, Huria T, Beckert L, Gilles M, Pitama S. The Hui Process: a framework to enhance the doctor-patient relationship with Maori. N Z Med J 2011; 124: 72–8.
28. Prokopetz JJ, Lehmann LS. Physicians as fundraisers: medical philanthropy and the doctor-patient relationship. PLoS Med 2014; 11: e1001600. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001600
29. Engestrom Y. From doctor-patient relationship to a collaborative one. Duodecim 2013; 129: 651–5.
30. Chana P. Patient empowerment: a new dimension in doctor-patient relationship. Rev Med Chil 2012; 140: 404–5.
31. Egnew TR, Wilson HJ. Faculty and medical students’ perceptions of teaching and learning about the doctor-patient relationship. Patient Educ Couns 2010; 79: 199–206. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2009.08.012
32. Sommer J, Rieder A, Haller DM. Learning about family medicine and the doctor-patient relationship: student views. Rev Med Suisse 2011; 7: 1100–5.